Monday 13 August 2007

Hello..? Anyone home..?

Ho hum - another unintentional blog break. Here's what's been going on in sunny(?) Cornwall since the last post:

Wedding Bolero
I finished the wedding bolero! I rate it 6/10 - ok enough to keep and wear but not exactly as planned. Why? Well because
- For some reason I designed the pattern in a size bigger than I need - brain holiday obviously
- I forgot to increase the V-neck depth, so the clasp fastening is higher than I intended
- I should have used a more open stitch for this DK weight yarn - the result is pretty but not as lightweight and drapey as I'd hoped
- Basically I was in too much of a rush to get the darn thing finished in time for the wedding - I really should know by now that good planning is everything!

Still, I do like the garment, it fits (loosely - but better that than too small), and it goes with the wedding outfit so I will wear it.

Garment details:
Materials: 350g mercerised DK cotton, approx 80 crystal beads, 4mm knitting needles, 3.5mm crochet hook, 1 clasp
Knitted in treble lace stitch with a beaded crochet edging

Evening Wrap
I also wanted a bolero or wrap to go with my top for the wedding evening do. I had 200g of
Patons Reef (a beautiful ribbon yarn) in shade "Pebble" to use. Again speed was of the essence so I opted for a wrap.

I played with stitch patterns, started a couple of times with different widths, finished it, tried it on, and promptly dumped it in the Frog Pond. This definately gets a 3/10 - I love the stitch pattern with this yarn, but the finished wrap isn't deep enough and (again I should know by now) wraps, shawls, and stoles are very pretty but they just aren't me!

So in the Frog Pond it waits, and hopefully it will at some point become the bolero it should always have been.

Bamboo Cardigan
Introducing the new WIP - my lovely dusky rose Wendy Bamboo yarn and cardigan pattern gifted from the kind members of the Beatties Knit Chat group just before we moved to Cornwall.

Woohoo - I got gauge!




Assorted trivia


  1. I christened my new wetsuit by body boarding with my DDs last weekend! We managed not to get into difficulties in the strong rip current thankfully

  2. I hit the high-street sales and got bargains from Monsoon, Principles, Wallis, and Next - but no yarn

  3. My MIL and FIL have now also moved down to Cornwall - they're buying a bunglaow about 3 minutes walk from us. My DDs are thrilled to have nanny and grandad living within walking distance :-)
  4. Keeping an eye on the weather - maybe we should stock up on cotton yarns now?

1 comment:

Knittings Nice! said...

Wediing jacket looks very nice.....pleased your Mum and Dad made the move. DH and I would love to move to Crewkerne in Somerset...but pregggie DD keeps us rooted here.....if win the lottery then we will all upsticks....until then I dream.