Friday 15 September 2006

S.E.X. at the N.E.C.

Yep, you read it right. I had a fantastic S.E.X. (Stash Enhancement eXperience for the uninitiated!) when I went to the Knitting and Stitching Show with my good friend Fiona at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham today.

It was amazing. There are so many incredibly talented people out there. Unfortunately photos were not allowed in the gallery area, so I can't show you the amazing work displayed in the showcases and exhibitions.

The lovely lady at the House of Hemp however was not camera shy. Thank you! Here you can see a beautiful display of her hemp yarns, which have such a wonderful sheen and feel.

She had a lot of weaving on display and was actually creating more on her stand. Fiona had a little go at it too. This was a tiny part of the gorgeous pieces hanging on the walls.



Fiona succumbed to temptation and took home a goodly sized pair of knitting needles (amongst other goodies).


So what did I take home? This little lot:

  • 2 craft kits for my daughters
  • 2 packs of Rowan Cotton Braid (a bargain at £10 per 500g pack)
  • 1 skein of HipKnits cashmere sock yarn in a gorgeous bright pink colourway (Kerrie is lovely!)
  • 1 skein of Hand Maiden Lace Silk (in a variegated green-blue colourway which is just to die for) from the GetKnitted stand (Warning - far too many truly luscious yarns in one small space - an OD zone!)
  • 4 mini skeins of some kind of braiding wire stuff and some beautiful beads to try out some Peruvian Braiding as kindly demonstrated by the ladies of the Weavers, Spinners, and Dyers Guild (amongst others) - fascinating!
  • 2 cones of undyed yarn for dyeing from Uppingham Yarns - 1 funky flag type and 1 hemp
  • 1 wool dyeing starter kit and some more fixer for my Procion cotton dyes from the very helpful lady at the Ario stand
  • Buttons from the Button Lady and a couple of funky squashed box shape beads from MoBair (which I forgot to line up for the photo shoot)

Plus I got to meet Fred from UKHandKnitters - Hi Fred! Hope you survive the rest of the weekend ok. ;-)

We were both surprised at what we had ended up buying, and had a thoroughly enjoyable day. Everyone there was very friendly and helpful, and it was like spending a day amongst friends. If you have some spare time this weekend, I'd recommend a visit - it's on until Sunday 17th September.

Time to go fondle some cashmere and silk... ;-)

7 comments:

MandellaUK said...

OK. Now I'm jealous. I've been to Ally Pally for the last two years, but this year I'm not sure if I'll get to go - will probably have to work some Saturdays during October/November, can't take time off in the week etc.

Glad to see you had a good time though. I can enjoy it vicariously through you.

Seahorse said...

Sounds like an absolutely fabulous day! I love the things you bought :)

Wye Sue said...

Sorry I missed you, was probably out shopping when you called !!
Some of the silk from Getknitted came home with me in the same colour !!
Glad you had a good day ;-)

scarletprincess said...

I'm sooo jealous as I really wanted to go! Thankyou so much for the lovely bootees! Would you believe they are the perfect fit for his huge feet?! They'll look lovely with his little suits that people have bought him!
Glad you had such a lovely time,
xxxx

Daisy said...

Ooh, I'm so jealous, it's AGES until Harrogate! Love your purchases!

Craftydramaqueen said...

Lucky you! You've got a great stash there. I'm hoping to go to Harrogate. Not that I need to buy anymore yarn...

Annie said...

Did you go on Sunday too? I saw a family that looked remarkably like you & your hubby on the shuttle bus from the carpark