Thursday 7 April 2005

Booga'd!

Remember the bag I was knitting using the Booga Bag pattern and my own mega-chunky stash wool? Well I finally got time to felt it!
Of course I forgot to add something in to the picture for scale, but I did measure it. Pre-felting we had 15.5 inches wide by 15.5 inches high, and looking like this:


Pre-felting

I put it through a 60 degree wash cycle with 1 pair of jeans and to my amazement pulled out this:


A felted bag - on purpose!

Wow! I wasn't even sure it would felt but it certainly did! It now measures 8.5 inches high by 11.5 inches wide and is blocking on my daughter's school lunch box. ;-)


This is the close-up before felting:


Stitch definition pre-felting

And the close-up after felting:


Sure is felted!


I won't be able to make this into the classic drawstring Booga as it's felted so successfully that the strap is too short. ;-) I'm planning on sewing it on instead and then sewing a snap fastener to the top centre inside of the bag. I just can't get over it! :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty funky.. I like how the colors turned out!

Anonymous said...

It's not your felting, I think it's the instructions. I knitted my first strap for the booga bag to the instructions and found it far too short. The one I have drying now is double the stated size and looks better.
I love the colours in yours!

yuvee said...

COOL!!! I've been wanting to try felting for some time, maybe I'll try and make a booga bag too! Great colours anyway ;) love your knitting