Monday 20 June 2005

Too hot to knit!

Yes, you read it right. I can't quite believe it myself but this weekend it was too hot to knit. I guess I could have sat indoors in front of a fan, but I didn't dare miss possibly the hottest and sunniest weekend of this summer. After all my knitted summer tops should look even better with a (slight) healthy glow to my skin. :-)

We had a fabulous time at my in-laws' place in the
Clee Hills; such a beautiful place. We sat in the garden until 11:20pm on Saturday evening, overlooking the hills, illuminated simply by a few candles and an amazingly bright moon, drinking home-made wine, and watching a few small bats going about their nightly business. No really, there were bats; it wasn't just the wine. ;-)

Anyway it was finished off with a very dramatic storm yesterday evening as we arrived back home; thunder and lightning with torrential rain, followed by small pebbles of clear ice raining down (hail stones? more like glass pebbles!), and then a river of water flooding down our street from the main road on higher ground. We were very lucky in that nothing was damaged, so it was all quite astounding to watch.

So, the end result of all that was very little knitting - just about 6 rows last night! I did manage to crochet the beaded edge onto my mohair wrap, and I really like it:

It's a beady edge wrap!

I still don't think I could get much wear from it due to my sensitive skin, although it is very soft. So I'm undecided. Should I keep it or not?

I did enjoy the beading experience, although it wasn't knitting with them. Threading them onto the yarn wasn't nearly as painful as I'd imagined, and I have lots of beads and Kid Silk Haze left. Hmm... ;-)

The current weather has gripped me with another obsession - I MUST knit a half-sleeve bolero type cardi and I must knit it very soon! Something along the lines of
this with slightly longer sleeves. I do have a 500g pack of Rowan Linen Print in the Peachy shade which I think would go nicely with a lot of my clothing, and it means I would get to use up some stash. Wahay!

Finally it's confession time. I've been keeping an eye on the
Hip Knits site all day for the earliest view of their latest silk yarns, and have succumbed to 400g of this scrummy silk yarn in Clover! Sigh, I'm in heaven. :-)

5 comments:

Iris said...

Your Hip Knits yarn is gorgeous!! Especially in this kind of weather it was refreshing just to look at it.

I've only ever bought Sari Silk from them but their hand-dyed yarns are sheer heaven - I'm sure I won't be able to remain strong much longer... ;-)

Merkuria_lyn
http://thegreenonion.blogspot.com/

scarletprincess said...

Ha Ha someone else has succumbed to the call of the Hip Knits Silk... the only good thing was that I bought my 500g of reef in the sale! I'd been watching it for ages though.... like when you keep going back to THAT shop and staring at THOSE shoes! :O)
x

Anonymous said...

It looks wonderful, I love the beads although I have no idea how you crocheted them on!

Anonymous said...

Lovely - look forward to seeing what you make with the silk (I have bought some too!)

littlelixie said...

I love that silk colourway as well! On a yarn diet otherwise would have splurged. Can't wait to see what you do with it.